Pages

Thursday 12 April 2012

give me more

Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back. (Luke 6:38)
giving is one of those things that i struggle with. the whole act is yet another lesson in trust. god doesn't say when we'll receive back our gifts, or from whom, but he is telling us to give freely, and trust that he will honour our generosity, that our generosity won't be a cause of ruin.

how does this work in our lives? how should i negotiate the requests for donations at the grocery store, or that come in the mail? is it sinful to want to hold onto my hard earned money? these are questions that i avoid asking, in fear of not liking the answer. but now, i've gone and asked them anyway.

i hide behind the thin veil of we can't afford it  or i don't have time when god's always provided for me. i have been blessed, and in turn should bless others. not just monetarily, but also with my time, words and attitude. lord, help me to be a gracious giver, to give without expectation and to teach my son the value of helping others.

and so the sea of change sweeps over me. today i dropped my change into the charity bin at the grocery store, gave away a prized bib to another mom, offered a loaf of bread to a friend. i said yes every time someone asked. small steps, but it all felt significant. what i wasn't expecting was the lightness and peace that i got in return. grace begets grace. love begets love. that is the story i want my life to tell.

<source>


2 comments:

  1. here i am again...its only been a couple of days and I am now looking forward to reading your blog. Giving back I don't think is always about money or material items, although it is certainly probably the most common. I think God calls each of us to give back in different ways. Once again, the idea that it is god working is a new realization for me, however, like many others I have been through some significant challenges in my life..including depression and on going anxiety. I think my calling is to reach out to those in similar situations..I have been struggling with how to fullfill this...recently an opportunity presented itself..had the opportunity to share my experiences and hopefully provided some assistance..
    again..sorry for the long post...your posts just have a way of touching on something in my life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i whole heartedly agree with you that giving is about more than money.
      i love it when god puts us in the paths of people who we can help! i'm excited for you that you are seizing those opportunities! :)
      just as you are looking forward to reading what i have to say, i am hoping you'll comment back now too! :)
      (if you want to chat off of the comment boards, my email is: adventuresofmamabear@gmail.com )

      Delete